Director, Public Relations - PHG Consulting - New York
A division of Preferred Hospitality Group, PHG Consulting is a uniquely positioned global resource offering sales representation, public relations, digital marketing, social media, and more to tourism boards, hotel brands, destination management companies, cruise lines, and all sectors of the travel and tourism industries throughout the world. With sales professionals working in nearly 40 offices worldwide, PHG Consulting connects global clients to local markets.
Under the direct supervision of the Vice President, Corporate Communications & Public Relations, the Director, Public Relations is a key interface between the company and media audiences, ensuring consistency across consumer, trade, and industry messages in North America serving as the in-house representative for the company and its clients. The Director is responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting traditional PR campaigns for PHG Consulting and its clients and is directly responsible for executing the tactics and for securing coverage of clients in North American media outlets. The Director, Public Relations will also contribute to the ideation and execution of social media campaigns, as required per client contract. The Director, Public Relations also assists the Vice President, Corporate Communications & Public Relations with initiatives for other Preferred Hospitality Group brands, as needed.
Under the direct supervision of the Vice President, Corporate Communications & Public Relations, the Director, Public Relations shall liaise with multiple internal departments, business owners, and PHG Consulting clients to support their respective activities, and liaise with PR agencies as needed. There is regular interaction with journalists, editors, clients, external partners, and third-party vendors, and phone calls, action plan development, and follow-through.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the creation of integrated media relations plans for PHG Consulting clients to include public relations and social media strategies, as required; support the execution of initiatives under the direction of the Supervisor
- Fulfill traditional PR duties such as handling media requests for images and information; compiling activity re-cap reports for clients; securing consistent and quality media placements with active pitching via phone, email, and in-person interactions; planning, facilitating, and hosting media group and individual FAM trips; building and maintaining productive relationships with influential media; building, organizing, and maintaining internal lists of media and social influencers, as well as editorial calendars; and producing press kits and media mailings
- Serve as clients’ official North America spokesperson, as required
- Identify and formulate partnerships with external companies (i.e. tour operators, media outlets, charitable organizations, etc.) to enhance clients’ brands and extend their PR reach, as appropriate
- Support the planning and coordination of events and PR gatherings as required by individual client plans
- Assist with the new business process by supporting the creation of PR and social media proposal elements, as advised by the Supervisor
- Serve as day-to-day contact for media and clients (internal and external)
- Research, draft, and distribute PR materials addressing consumer, trade, and MICE media audiences across North America
- Liaise with internal resources to develop press stories that support goals and objectives of PHG Consulting and its clients
- Plan, facilitate, and host FAM trips
- Research, draft, and post consumer-facing messages to clients’ social media channels, as required
- Stay updated on public relations and social media trends and use the knowledge to positively impact and improve efforts executed on behalf of PHG Consulting and its clients
- Manage the press rooms for PHG Consulting’s website and those of clients, as required
- Accept additional Preferred Hospitality Group duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Minimum eight years of progressive experience in Public Relations. Agency experience required
- Travel/hospitality experience required; experience working with clients based outside of the United States is preferred
- Knowledge of effective social media practices on key channels, specifically Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, with an eye for emerging trends and a high comfort level with integration and content creation; experience managing programs professionally is preferred
- Willingness to take on all aspects of client campaigns, no matter how large or small the task
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills including writing for press releases, feature articles and talking points.
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle multiple, concurrent demands and appropriately prioritize responsibilities
- Knowledge of and strong relationships with North America media outlets, journalists and editors.
- Detail oriented self-starter
- Ability to travel
- Technology and web savvy with proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications
- B.A. or B.S. in journalism, public relations, marketing, or related field
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.