CHICAGO – December 17, 2012 – As new hotspots in remote locales and city centers alike continue to pop up across the world map, travelers are expanding their bucket lists with a global perspective. Representing more than 400 independent luxury hotels worldwide, the Preferred Hotels® & Resorts and Preferred Boutique™ brands recommend the following 13 must-stay hotels in 13 must-visit destinations to help guide 2013 vacation planning.
Travelers are welcomed to enjoy the comforts of the luxury hotel experience while visiting the following bucket-list-worthy destinations:
- For the Adrenaline Junkie – Queenstown, New Zealand
- Why go: As the adventure capital of the world, this resort town offers stunning lake-meets-mountain scenery and exhilarating activities such as canyoning, bungee jumping, and fly-fishing.
- Where to stay: Azur, a member of Preferred Boutique – Azur provides unparalleled views of Lake Wakatipu, The Remarkables, and Cecil & Walter Peaks. Each of the luxury lodge’s nine villas features a gas fireplace and a private deck with lounge area designed for guests to absorb incredible views and relax between excursions.
- For the Culture Seeker – Udaipur, India
- Why go: One of India’s most beautiful and culturally rich cities, Udaipur invites travelers to visit centuries-old former royal palaces, stroll through famed gardens, and cruise across Lake Pichola.
- Where to stay: The Leela Palace Udaipur, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts – Nestled on the banks of Lake Pichola, this majestic hotel was designed as an exquisite escape where old-world grandeur meets 21st-century luxuries. Cultural experiences include individual astrological chart readings with the on-site astrologer, cooking classes with Executive Chef Karim Hassene, or visits to local attractions such as Fateh Prakash Palace and Bagore Ki Haveli.
- For the Ecotourist – Mata de Sao Joao, Brazil
- Why go: Home to Brazil’s top ecotourism projects, this fishing village provides opportunities to learn about sea turtle conservation at Tamar Project, trek through the 600-acre Sapiranga Ecological Reserve, and drive down the famed Linha Verde.
- Where to stay: Tivoli Ecoresort Praia do Forte, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts – In the nearby fishing town of Praia do Forte, luxury travel and environmental sustainability merge at the 292-room Tivoli Ecoresort, where guests can connect with the lush surroundings during several ecological tours or relax and enjoy treatments at the on-site Thalasso Spa.
- For the History Buff – Querétaro, Mexico
- Why go: Built from Mexico’s 17th-century silver fortune, this colonial city is a UNESCO World Heritage site that speaks to the country’s rich history with sites including the famed Museo Regional de Querétaro, La Casa de la Marquesa, and the Cerro de las Campanas National Park.
- Where to stay: Hacienda Jurica, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts – Drawing on the region’s culture and history as a “place of well being”, this 16th-century hacienda is a true retreat, where guestrooms offer a historic look at colonial-style architecture with contemporary amenities, and restaurants present traditional Mexican fare and live music.
- For the Fashionista – Forte dei Marmi, Italy
- Why go: As one of Italy’s original beach resort towns, Forte dei Marmi is immensely popular among the glitzy crowd, who flock to this area of northern Tuscany for its pristine beaches, world-class designer discount market at Piazza Marconi, and abundance of boutiques from Europe’s most influential fashion houses, such as Prada, Roberto Cavalli, and Armani.
- Where to stay: Grand Hotel Imperiale, a member of Preferred Boutique – Situated on a private beach, surrounded by the Apuan Alps, Grand Hotel Imperiale caters to the discerning jetsetter, presenting five-star accommodations and services, ranging from Mediterranean gastronomic delights at Olivo D’Oro to Chinese- and Indian-influenced treatments at the Medical Spa Imperiale.
Preferred Hotel Group also recommends the following bucket list locales where travelers of all interests can revel in the premier hotel experiences while enjoying unique excursions, cultural adventures, and culinary delights:
- Beijing, China
- What to do: Scale the Great Wall, walk through the Forbidden City, and indulge in reflexology massages.
- Where to stay: The Opposite House, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- County Clare, Ireland
- What to do: Enjoy the countryside during a round at one of the area’s championship golf courses.
- Where to stay: Dromoland Castle Hotel, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- Istanbul, Turkey
- What to see: The Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque, and Galata Tower.
- Where to stay: Divan Istanbul, a member of Preferred Hotels & resorts
- Marrakech, Morocco
- What to do: Peruse the souks of the Marrakech Medina at Djemaa el-Fna, soak in the baths at Les Palais Rhoul Hammam, and marvel at the 12-century Koutoubia Mosque.
- Where to stay: Es Saadi Palace & Villas, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- Montreal, Canada
- Why go: More than100 year-round festivals and sites such as Notre-Dame Basilica and The Montreal Biodome.
- Where to stay: Hotel Gault, a member of Preferred Boutique
- San Francisco, United States
- What to do: Ride a cable car during a self-guided tour of the city’s booming restaurant scene.
- Where to stay: Cavallo Point, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- What to do: Forget the Alps and hit the slopes on Bodg Khan Mountain.
- Where to stay: Blue Sky Hotel & Tower, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- Urubamba/Sacred Valley, Peru
- What to see: Inca citadels, an ancient Chinchero village, and the Pisac Archaeological complex.
- Where to stay: Aranwa Sacred Valley, a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts
For more information on the Preferred Hotels & Resorts and Preferred Boutique collections, please visit PreferredHotelGroup.com/Preferred and PreferredHotelGroup.com/Preferred-Boutique.
About Preferred Hotels & Resorts and Preferred Boutique
Preferred Hotels® & Resorts and Preferred Boutique™ ― both brands of Preferred Hotel Group™ ―represent more than 400 of the most luxurious independent hotels and resorts in the most desirable locations around the world. Each hotel in the Preferred Hotels & Resorts portfolio is a destination in its own right, and, as an ensemble, the brand represents the very best in refined travel through anticipatory service and personalized guest experiences. Preferred Boutique presents more than 150 one-of-a-kind hotels, each featuring 100 rooms or less, that showcase style, service, and personality on an intimate scale. For reservations and a complete description of the collections, please visit PreferredHotelGroup.com/Preferred and PreferredHotelGroup.com/Preferred-Boutique and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Senior Manager, Media Relations
Tel: +1 312 542 9218
Senior Manager, Public Relations – EMEA
Tel: +44 20 7647 5184
Director, Marketing – Asia Pacific
Tel: +852 2511 8758
For high-resolution imagery, please visit the Preferred Hotel Group Image Library at PreferredHotelGroupImages.com.