Director, Business Development - Africa
The Director, Business Development - Africa is responsible for PHR’s profitability from business development, by way of signing new member hotels within the assigned region/client list. The primary responsibility for this position is to develop new hotels relationships, and working with the PHR team to enhance hotel and PHR profitability through all managed reservation channels, as well as PHR programming.
The Director, Business Development - Africa reports to the Executive Vice President, South Asia, Middle East, Africa & Australasia. The Director will work closely with Revenue, Sales, Marketing, PR and Finance colleagues for the region to maximize on business opportunities and regional operating profitability.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Spearhead Regional Development Strategy by proactively seeking new hotel members within the region, targeting gap destinations and quality guidelines set and agreed with the Executive Vice President, SAMEAA.
- Provide the first point of contact and facilitates all communication with PHR with potential new member hotels in the region. Identify key decision makers and influencers at each hotel in order to build strong business relationships.
- Maintain regular contact with all potential hotels in the region by personal visit, telephone, and regional meetings. Deliver all product training necessary
- Provide regional industry and market analysis and information in support of development of brand specific growth within the region.
- Forecast and implement the agreed upon expansion plan for the region.
- Proactively build and drive ownership and leadership management relationships of prospect member hotels.
- Represent our company’s interest in regional hospitality forums and hotel development conferences to create new business opportunities.
- Work toward and report on the achievement of regional and position specific goals as defined by the company’s and the region’s annual SMART goals.
- Provide timely scheduled and, as assigned, ad hoc status reports on areas of responsibility
- Degree in business (BB/BS/BA) with marketing or hotel industry experience a plus.
- 15+ years of travel industry related sales and marketing experience required.
- A proven track record for developing customer relationships and strategic results-oriented programs.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Elementary foreign language capability will be an added advantage.
- Strong experience in hotel business development, sales and/or revenue management, or closely related.
- Outstanding communications and persuasion skills, both written and verbal.
- Competency in the use of business software for communications and presentations
- Strong business acumen, analytical and multi-dimensional strategic-thinking skills required.
- Strong knowledge of electronic distribution channels for hotel and travel industry.
- High energy and commitment required.
- Strong team-work and team-building skills required.
- Experience with global markets, cultural awareness and international “thinking” helpful.
This role is office based. Potentially 40% of time spent traveling, domestic and international.
- Detailed introduction to CRM
- PHG member hotels and team knowledge
- Introduction to PHG pricing & development process
- Introduction to PHG reports – P&L, AR etc.
- Education and guidelines of PHG Brand Standards and all programs
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.